Sunday, January 18, 2009

Identity theft: update.

This is ridiculous.

When I'm down at the Corvallis Police Ptation, after we have discussed all the details about my stolen debit card, the cop asks me if I want to be put on a list the FBI has created for identity theft victims.

To be on this list, I would be required to remember a password for the next seven years. If pulled over by the police, I would have to give them this password or I would be detained! I understand the theory behind this, but, honestly, who in their right mind would do this.

WOW!

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a WOW! Today I would probably do it (I'm clearly not in my right mind :-), but when I was younger there was no way I would give that much power to "The Man". What it amounts to is that we all have a secret "name" which we can use to prove we have the right to use our public name. That is what I have to do everytime I use Amazon or the Well's Fargo Online Banking, etc. etc. However, they can't "detain" me. Sometimes they do lock my account if I use a wrong password several times in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would suck. I guess you'd have to tape the password to your car somewhere and hope it doesn't fall off and get lost . . . but still, it might be a good idea. At least you wouldn't get in trouble for refusing to pay for stuff your debit card said you bought.

    ReplyDelete