Sunday, February 22, 2009

Number Two Sold Meth



Since We moved to Corvallis, my girlfriend and I have had an apartment at Sycamore Towers- a funny name really because the two-building complex is only two stories high and in no way resembles a set of towers.

We chose to live here because of the cheap rent and the nearly non-existent application process--a key point in the decision making process due to me not having anything near an acceptable line of credit. The complex is located all the way out Ninth street in the heart of the festering box-store sprawl, which is the closest thing to a ghetto in Corvallis. Anyway, none of this mattered when we grabbed the place. The living arrangement was and still is going to be just temporary.

So, because we knew we would be moving out sooner than later, we never really got to know any of our neighbors on a personal basis. There is the lonely lady next door who feeds all the stray cats, there is the guy who is in the constant state of working on his truck, and their are neighbors across the parking lot who sell drugs.

It's not a hard conclusion to come to-- the fact that the girl and guy in apartment two sell drugs. There is a steady stream of foot traffic coming in and out of the place, nobody ever stays for more then a few minutes, and they all look like the walking dead. The foot traffic has gotten so bad that the fence separating the complex to the one next door has been literally trampled to the ground.

So, I can admit that I have had a semi-obsession with number two and their illegal activities. I’ve been waiting for something to happen. So, to move it along, about a week ago, I’m sitting at my kitchen table typing up a paper for my comparative politics class, and I hear a loud commotion coming from out in front of my apartment complex-- in the direction of number two. Oh,boy.

So, unable to resist my curiosity, I go outside to smoke and see two police cruisers in my parking lot. The officers are out of their cars. One of the cops has his knee on the back of this dude and is pinning him down on the cement. The other cop is searching around by the dumpster and he is yelling."Where did you throw it, buddy. I know you threw something. Where did you throw it?”

By this time, most of my neighbors have come out of their apartments and are all standing around looking at each other. I've called my girlfriend at work and am giving her the play by play. The guy on the ground is screaming mad, screaming that the cops are assholes and he didn’t throw “fuckin nuttin.” The cop has had enough of this guy and pulls his hands up behind his back so he can cuff him.

After the guy is cuffed, they peel him off the ground and put him in the back of one of the police cars. This guy is calling them all kinds of names, names I wont even mention. Just then, an older lady comes out of apartment two and the police instantly ambush her with questions.

She’s telling the cops she doesn’t know who lives in apartment two and, more or less doesn’t know why she’s there, she just is. The cops see through this bullshit and start arresting her instantly. Another cop pulls up and gets out of his car with a white piece of paper in his hand. There is a German Shepard in the backseat of his cruiser. By this time two more cruisers have pulled up —- that makes five.

A motley crew of characters start pouring out of apartment two- there must have been a dozen of them-- along with them is the scruffy dude who lives there. The cops start wrangling them up near the police cars. Then, rwo of the officers, one of which has the piece of paper, head up the steps to the apartment and yells inside. The girl who lives there comes to the door and looks amazed that this is all happening, even though its been going on for nearly ten minutes. The cop shows her the piece of paper and she runs back inside. The cops chase after her. After a couple of minutes, she comes out in cuffs.

When the dog goes inside, I can tell the scruffy dude and his chick are sweating bullets. They know they're fucked.

In the end, im not sure how much was found or how much trouble they got into. I got tired of standing around waiting. I only know they were arrested for selling meth -- at least that is what the guy who works on his truck said. The traffic at number two has stopped. I have not seen scruffy dude or his chick since.

(Photo credit: d70focus)

1 comment:

  1. Interesting slice of life. You know it happens a lot, but seldom do you see it live!

    ReplyDelete